Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Business Simplification

Afternoon Bike Riders...

Ol' Curly is down to 14 days for a trip over the cobbles and many details are being settled. The bike being one of them. After much pondering over the last 20 minutes and in light of my Tour guide's e-mail suggesting I simplify my experience by "hiring a proper" racing bike for the ride... I have decided to forego the $300 expense of bending over for TSA and American Airlines and hiring one of the fine steeds from Sporting UK's stables.

Now this part is for Martaint: YES, I know it has a compact crankset... Yes, I f'n know that those wheels will probably explode under the forces that I generate from just sitting on a bike... YES, I'm fully aware that I'll have to tweak the fit a bit to make sure it mirrors my race bike in true Baratto spirit... I'd like you to consider a few other things Mr. Martaint that figure in...
  • It's going to cost less than $100 for me to rent it
  • It's going to cost less than $100 if I destroy it
  • It's going to be lovingly cared for for my entire trip by someone else
  • It's going to weigh 17lbs vs 21lbs
  • It's going to be carbon and not steel
  • and finally, I'm going to bring my own stem, saddle, pedals and the like for good measure

Yes, it would have been a nice sentiment to have Il Barone take on the stones and come back with some battle scars, I'll admit... but now I'll be freed the 60lbs of travel girth and the fear that my precious rain bike might get verbally and physically abused by American Airline's gorillas for the mere price of $300...

So... bring on the Verenti... I welcome this rental bike with open arms and taint...

~Curly

No comments:

Post a Comment