Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cobbled Kicks

How Bike Riders...

83 days until Paris Roubaix week, and now is as good a time as any for Ol' Curly to talk about the kind of shoes you need to ride Paris Roubaix. Now a lot of folks will tell you that it don't matter what kicks you use to ride such a race, but I think they're wrong.

It takes a special shoe to help you get through the cobbles. I know half of you are now out on the interwebz... Googling up photos of the last few Paris Roubaix winners to see what shoes they're wearing and you're wasting your time. You're only going to find cleverly doctored images of Sidis. I'm talking about a real shoe for us fellas who feet shaped like clubbed feet. The kind of shoes worthy to never be covered by a sissy winter shoe cover... which don't really work anyway.

I'm talking about the Northwave Aerator 3V (V for velcro only)... Why this fine shoe is used by none other than Tornado Tom Boonen. I know it was used by him too, cuz they have his signature on the top strap. Talk about a carbon sole stiff enough to put your foot to sleep in just a few pedal strokes. These shoes are so tough, they come with a manly yellow paper-thin footbed and a cork footbed option.

Of course, I own a pair. Anything good enough for Tom is good enough for Ol' Curly. Why I'm no Podiatrist, but I'm 110% sure that these shoes have magic powers. I remember quite well, my very first ride with these fine shoes. It was the STP. My glistening white with blue accents cycling shoes were the buzz of the other riders for sure... I also remember jacking up the carbon soles quite well trying to get an onion burger at the Winlock burger stand... but that story is for another day.

Now, I didn't make it to Portland that year... but I attribute my retirement in shame to my lack of doing any rides over 50 miles that year than I do to the shoes.

So there you have it... a Curly endorsement for the Northwave Aerator 3V Tom Boonen Edition shoe... I'd tell you to go out and buy some but all of 2007's stock was snatched up from Chainlove.com when they were blowing them out at $50 a pair...

Ol' Curly will keep feeding you a nugget or two for the next 80+ days... Next stop... Embrocations.

Keep yer shirt on.

Curly

No comments:

Post a Comment